Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Self-Defeating Self-Talk Destroys Wealth-Building

Dr. ShadHelmstetter explains that we create our own difficulties (financial and otherwise) through self-defeating self-talk (What to Say When You Talk to Yourself, Pocket Books, 1987). Do any of the following statements creep into your self-talk?
  • I can’t remember names.
  • I’m always running late.
  • I can never get organized.
  • I’m always short of money. I just don’t know where it goes.
  • No way could we ever save enough for a 20 percent down payment.
  • No way could we ever afford a property in that neighborhood.
  • Get qualified for a mortgage? Not with my credit.
  • At the rate we’re putting away money for retirement, I’ll probably be working until I’m 75.
  • I don’t believe that infomercial hype. I know that I could never raise enough cash to invest in real estate.
  • I just can’t seem to lose weight.
According to Dr. Helmstetter, none of these self-descriptors actually states a fact.But they do determine your future. “Themore you think about anything in a certain way,”Helmstetter writes, “themore you believe that’s the way it really is.” And when you believe “that’s the way it really is,” you do nothing to solve the problem. The complaint denies your ability to change your behavior. Self-denial vanquishes potential improvement. Now, here’s how to bring about the
results you really want.

No comments:

Post a Comment